Monday, September 15, 2014

Stamping....an Art

I saw a statement recently from a lady who doesn't "get" stamping.  I understand that mindset, as I too didn't understand the appeal at one time in my life. 
 
That statement got me to thinking.  If you're reading this, you are most likely a creative person, interested in crafting perhaps?  After all, this is part of who I am and part of my personal blog.  Or, you're one of my family members or friends just checking in and seeing what I'm up to today!
 
We all know, art comes in many forms.  As a kid, I loved art.  I excelled in classes, maintaining a sketch book and drawing in it every chance I got.   Eventually, on into the high school years, other things took over my life and art was put on the backburner.  It wasn't until about 5 years ago that a friend introduced me to scrapbooking.  I was in love!  All my creative juices started flowing again.  There's a satisfaction that comes from visualizing something and bringing it to life.
 
As an artist, we are influenced by other creators.  We learn new techniques, new tricks, increase our knowledge and add newly learned skills to our repertoire.   When the desire to create was renewed, stamping was not at the top of my list.  However, there were many in my crafty circle who did stamp.  At the crops I went to, I would walk around, see who was doing what, ask questions and file away that information.  I'm not even sure how I got started stamping.  I do remember picking up a few stamps from our local craft store.  The next thing I know, I'm an avid user of Unity Stamps and a member of their Show and Tell group. 
 
About a year later, my crafty life changed dramatically.  I was approached by two online friends at Unity to join them in a new venture which became Mountain Plains Crafters.  Three months later, I'm guest blogging for the Craft and Hobby Association 2014 Paper Arts show and I've got some other fires in the pot as well.   All this, since taking up paper, scissors and stamps.
 
Are you also one who doesn't "get" the technique of stamping?   Give it a try.  It might just take you places you never even dreamed of.
 
"To understand the art of stamping, think of the stamp as a shell.  It's your job to fill in that shell and build around it.  Truly, no two shells are alike."  Terri Burson, artist, blogger and occasional poet, copyright 2014
 

1 comment:

(Ignore the robot caption feature and just click submit for your comments. It's a blogger glitch) I appreciate each and every comment. Thank you so much!