Thursday, August 14, 2014

Summer card with homemade washi tape

We're having a fun show-n-tell this weekend at Mountain Plains Crafters and the theme is end of summer/back to school.  I hit a bit of a creative block, so I decided to try this tutuorial I had bookmarked awhile back, how to make homemade washi tape, found here.  I used a microporous medical tape as opposed to the thicker kind that has ridges, and veered from the tutorial a bit, using my Ranger Inkssentials mini blending tool instead of baby wipes to blend.  I laid out a couple of wide strips on a large acrylic block, then cut into smaller strips with my Cutterbee retractable craft knife, then inked the tape with my new Spellbinders ink.  (Gifted items from the Spellbinders workshop at the Craft and Hobby Association Paper Arts show.  Love this ink!!)
 
 
 
Next, I picked out a couple of fun Unity Stamps to ink over the colored washi tape with Tim Holtz Brushed Cordoroy distress ink, and let dry overnight.
 
 
The next day, I gently peeled the strips off the block and placed on white cardstock and trimmed.  I could have separated the strips and had a gap inbetween, but I opted not to for this card.  Might try that next time.
 
It looks so much brighter on the white cardstock background!  Love it.  The finishing touches are Doodlebug Design fishes (samples from CHA-thanks Doodlebug!), Queen and Company orange buttons and blue bubbles, orange jute cord, burlap ribbon with a raised bubble sticker, designer paper from Colorbok (green striped) and Woodgrain cardstock from Crate Paper Maggie Holmes, one of my favorite stacks ever!  I am in love with this cute summer card.  Hope you get inspired to try a new technique next time you need to get out of a crafty funk.....
 
I also plan on entering this into the Unity Friends with Flair Challenge this week.

14 comments:

  1. This is such a fun card. Love the bright colors of your tape. I love the little blue bubbles for the fish and the burlap is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the technique. Lovely project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun card and colors, that technique is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great colours. Love your homemade tape

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card & fab idea, Terri!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so creative! You've inspired me to try a new technique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This card is so much fun!!! Bright and summer-y and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh this is so clever! I think I have that tape you used!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so cool Terri, will be giving this a go ... it turned out beautifully!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the card! Especially the homemade washi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a super cute and fun summer card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the card, your homemade washi tape looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

(Ignore the robot caption feature and just click submit for your comments. It's a blogger glitch) I appreciate each and every comment. Thank you so much!